“An international volunteer organization working to improve the lives of women and girls, in local communities and throughout the world.”
The local story of Soroptimism starts in 1928 when the first Club was founded in Budapest with the encouragement of Suzanne Noel — the famous plastic surgeon who launched the first continental European Club in 1924 in Paris and soon after inaugurated Clubs in The Hague and Milan.
The Budapest Soroptimist Club was launched on May 17, 1928 by Earl Apponyi Albertné and Augusta Rosenberg, the latter being the Vice President of the Women’s Association at that time. In the presence of delegates from the Hague, the inauguration ceremony took place in the Hotel Bristol.
In 1944; however, the Club was banned by the fascist regime.
It only revived in 1990, initiated by the Austrian sister organization from Oberpullendorf and the Dutch Twente club, with the economist Elvira Ferenczy being at the helm.
The inauguration ceremony took place on January 19, 1991 at the New York Café in the presence of 300 members of 100 clubs from 14 European countries. Our Founders, Dr. Judit Marosi and Fruzsina Kacskovics are still active members of our Club today.
In Hungary besides the Budapest Club there are three other ones located in Szeged, Sopron and Szombathely.
Phone: Déry Márta +36 30 427 4070